Author Thread: MERRY CHRISTMAS or HAPPY HOLIDAYS
hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
MERRY CHRISTMAS or HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 01:49 PM

Here I go again, with something to get everyone all upset!

Do you say Happy Holidays, or Merry Christmas? I personally say Merry Christmas when I know it would be welcome, otherwise I say Happy Holidays. My reasons for this are because the world is bigger than it use to be. Not everyone is Christian, but usually everyone celebrates something at this time of year, even if it just New Years. Yet the churches disagree with me very much! I'm just trying to show everyone the same kind of respect. Didn't Jesus want us to be respectful?

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 01:59 PM

thanksgiving- Christmas- new years

3 holidays does it matter?

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 02:52 PM

I always say Merry Christmas...Ifin a person informd me they are other than, which hasnt happened...I'd probly say..." Well then...Happy Holiday to You & Your family an May it be a Blessed one...xo

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 02:59 PM

I say Merry Christmas.

Retail forces its employees to say Happy Holidays. I still reply/say Merry Christmas. That's what's in my heart. We celebrate Christ.

As to saying Happy Holidays out of respect... why? Do you think the person hung up on Happy Holidays is going to say to you Merry Christmas out of respect for you and your beliefs? I believe your Church is right to disagree with you. If you allow your personal belief about a holiday or anything else to take a back seat to someone else's view or belief because it is the 'respectful' thing to do, pretty soon you won't be able express them at all; you'll be busy being 'respectful'

:winksmile:

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 07:29 PM

Merry Christmas. Never had anyone be offended. I've gotten some "Happy Holidays to you"'s back -- but no one got offended.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 07:57 PM

Christmas is so called because it was when the

Christ Mass was celebrated. So Christmas is about Christ. Secular society has tried to do away with BC (before Christ) and AD (Year of Our Lord) and have replaced it with BCE (before current era) and CE (current era).

Shall we allow them to do away with Celebrating Our Lord's Birthday also?

Me...Christmas is Christmas...everything else is Holidays.

MERRY CHRISTMAS Everyone!

Steve

NicoleMarieG

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 08:31 PM

I've worked in retail for ages! This is my first real year holiday season not working in a shop. Go me!

I always stick with a polite Happy Holidays! I don't want to presume that anyone and everyone celebrates the same holidays as myself. I offer a bright smile and cheerful tone because I am sincerely "into" this season and time of year.

People will correct you on both fronts. But, again, I just smile. And go on with my life.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 08:42 PM

Both, but I always say Merry Christmas first, unless I know they are something else. :purpleangel:

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 09:03 PM

:angel: Merry CHRISTmas! :angel:

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Nov, 2010 05:23 AM

I always say Merry Christmas - no Christ no Christmas!! I really wish people wouldn't use Merry Xmas!! Take Christ out of Christmas - you have no Christmas!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Nov, 2010 11:33 PM

I personally say "Merry Christmas" as a force of habit. I fail to see the big deal with saying "Happy Holidays" as being a compromise of faith; you are simply applying your greeting to a large audience, not denouncing your faith. Anyway, there are bigger things in your faith to be worrying about than what the Sales Associate at Sears calls to you from her shirt-folding duties.

All posts are reflective solely of the poster's opinions and are not to be taken as perceived irrefutable truth. :goofball:

Page : 1 2