Author Thread: working on Sunday?
hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 02:21 PM

This is gonna be good! I meen get people all opionionated.

I grew up in a time and a south where Nothing ran on Sunday.

Yet, police, and hospitals must be open Sundays, (and I for one am glad!) and most restarants requre their workers to work Sunday, as I must.

It seems to me sometimes that those condeming have no problems chowing down at the open Sunday restarants!

Input?

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 02:58 PM

While I respect and agree with everything closing on Sundays and would love to see it here.But there is nothing to support it in scripture; biblicaly the day of rest is on the sabbath; meaning the 'seventh' day which is on Saturday. It would be awesome if everyone would get on the same page!

To follow your line of thought; I agree 100 percent. I refuse to shop on major holidays, because the way I see it ; if nobody shopped on holidays in the stores would not open and these people would not have to work.

I'm doing my part!

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 05:39 PM

hmph. well until this past year, I had thought that the sabbath was Sunday. hey hey, I'm a late bloomer Christian, what can I say? During the first few months of my new Christianness, I was trying to not to go to restaurants, or do the main chores around the house, and stuff like that. Seemed like no one else at my church was adhereing to it (kept getting invited to lunch after church at the local joints) so I just stopped trying (yeah, yeah, don't even say it).

Jesus healed on the Sabbath, so I can clean up a little around the house, right?

I DO have a problem with people playing soccer and baseball and stuff at the local sports field during church service. There's a big sports field a mile from my church, and they're always out there playing when I'm pulling up to go to church - that's like thumbing your nose at God as far as I'm concerned. My pastor says we ought to go put some tracts and stuff on their car. I'm afraid I wouldn't say anything nice if someone there came up and said anything about it.

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 08:01 PM

From Sundown on Friday to Sundown on Saturday is The Sabbath.

Services were held during this time for many years. The Church changed it to Sunday because it was the Day Our Lord Arosed (or is it Arisened?).

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 10:00 PM

Rose, Arch. The day our Lord rose.

Hope that didn't get a rise outta ya

At least I rose to the occasion

I like to be uplifting when I post

Booya! Three in a row. Ok, I'm going to sleep now before I babble any more. Nighty night.

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 02:22 AM

Sunday is the Lord's Day, not the Sabbath, a day that we should give to the Lord and not work. However, stating this, I realize not everyone is given that option, such as retailers or those in the restaurant business. I would love to see these types of businesses closed on Sunday, yet I do not foresee this happening, because we are living in a World that does not live for God, but rather for themselves. So for those who work in this area, I believe God understands and recognizes your heart.

I personally chose to not shop or eat at restaurants on Sunday, unless I have to, such as being out of town. My feelings are this, if I refuse to work on Sunday simply because I refuse to miss out on Church, why would I want to cause someone else to miss out on Church because of my selfishness. I want it clear that I do not condemn anyone who chooses to eat out or shop on Sunday, I just choose not to do so. This is my personal conviction.

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 02:25 AM

The one exception I would make would be emergency services. Unfortunately people get sick on Sunday, fires do occur, and crimes are committed. If we were living in a perfect world, none of this would happen. But then again, we would not be discussing if it was right or not to work on Sunday. :laugh:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 07:01 AM

Where does the bible say that Sunday is the Lord's day? I thought Jesus was Lord of the Sabbath....wouldn't that make the Sabbath the Lord's day?

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 09:19 AM

I agree with ya Mark...Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath...but All in All...EVERYDAY is the Lords day...For this is the Day the Lord has given US...Amen ! AMEN !!!...Jesus knows we all work funky schedules...I truly believe as long as we Sabbath/Rest in Him on a Day...its All Good...Sundays are Good days...:-)...I prefer Saturday & Sunday but sometimes it ends up being on a Tuesday...xo

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 09:40 AM

The only reason I'm able to find the versus so quickly, is that we covered it in Church this past Sunday. I'm taking this from my notes, so it may be a little jumbled. Sorry.

The Sabbath is the last day of the week, and is a day of rest. It was designed for Man, so we would rest.

"2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made." Genesis 2:1-3

The reason we worship on Sunday, and call it the Lord's day, is that is the day Christ rose from the dead.

"Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight." Acts 20:7

While everyday is God's day, the Early Church set aside Sunday as a day we gather together specifically to praise and worship God.

I'm not sure who said this but, this is a quote my pastor used, which I think states how we should see each day: "If Man cannot Worship God on Monday, He cannot Worship on Sunday."

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
working on Sunday?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2010 10:04 AM

Well...that still doesn't say what you're saying it says...but ok. I'm pretty sure they broke bread and talked every day though. Jesus preached everyday. That isn't what sets a day aside as holy. God sets days aside as holy.

:peace::peace:

Page : 1 2