Author Thread: Paid ministry - for or against?
Admin

Paid ministry - for or against?
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 02:36 AM

Your opinions and reasoning please. Personally I'm against it as there's likely to be a conflict of interest - look at the bitter issue of women bishops in the CofE; how many of them want the position because of the extra pay, benefits or status? (I can't think of a single benefit spiritually)

teach_ib

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 06:59 AM

If the church can afford to pay the pastor/staff then I believe they should. I am retreading the book of Deuteronomy which outlines the inheritance of land for the Israelite tribes. The Levites got no land but the other tribes were instructed to give of their blessings through offerings and the Levites were sustained by those offerings.

In most churches I've seen over the years, the salary for the pastor is not competitive in comparison to a secular career...so I don't see most ministers entering ministry for the pay!

Pastoring is really a 24/7 job...parishioners get sick, die, have personal crises, etc every day if the week...so the pay is even less when you divide it by 24/7 vice 8/5.

Why have a paid pastor? To shepherd the flock...there is more to the care and feeding of a congregation than delivering a sermon in Sunday morning. Parishioners like to be visited, especially when hospitalized. Funerals, weddings, etc occur. Counseling sessions to salvage marriages, provide guidance in career decisions, etc are also included. Then there is also the visitation to reach out to the community, spreading the gospel, growing the congregation.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 07:37 AM

I agree Teach...the Church I attend reaches out to the community 2 x a month we feed the homeless and needy right on the property. Last Sat I heard we had about 80 people show up for a Thanksgiving Dinner...Shower...Clothes...Shoes...Hair Cuts...and WORD with Praise and Worship...I wasn't able to attend and I kinda missed out on the "Miracle" if ya know what I mean....Last Sunday we had Soup Sunday...its a Free Will Offering from all the Congregation...and we are very "small"...and yet...its is these types of events that help support the "Church/Congregation/Ministry...XO

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 08:02 AM

For lack of better words it depends on the job description. At the least being the shepherd for a flock should be a commitment of ones life and their emotions. For sure it is an act of love both for God and His children........ However, and as the saying goes one cannot live on love alone

Paul teaches us not to muzzle the oxen that treads down the wheat, (as in separating the chaff from the wheat aka purging the flock from what they need being purged of such as false doctrines, lack of praise and worship of the Lord).

In addition the clergy needs to be instrumental in witnessing the presence of God within the flock confirmed through signs following, and be able to do all of the above without damaging the wheat.

If you can find someone like this to lead your flock; IMO the sheep should be happy to provide for them.

Hisjoymypeace

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 10:53 AM

Restassured.......well said!

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 11:43 AM

Paid ministry - for or against? Your opinions and reasoning please.

What does the Bible say about it? <--- that is my opinion.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 12:56 PM

Go on then, what do you think the bible says about it?

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 01:29 PM

1 Cor 9 pretty much spells it out.

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Nov, 2013 05:50 AM

Just a few of the verses...1 Cor 9

Paul speaking - 9 Am I not an apostle? am I not free?

Paul speaking - 13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

*** The Gospel is found in the OT and NT right ??? ...

Paul states - 15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void. 16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! 17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

*** Please Correct me if Im wrong...A Ministry is not the same as Apostleship...and this chapter is not about the subject matter of paid Ministry...XO

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Nov, 2013 12:05 PM

No man that get's rich from religious service can be called Christian. In my opinion none of our money even belongs to us in the first place, at best it is assets God has placed at our disposal to do what is best with it.

mcubed

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Nov, 2013 05:09 PM

G-d set up the Levites to be paid.... He was their inheritance and what was tithed to Him a portion went to the Levites. G-d did change the rules because some people don't like it....

Page : 1 2