Author Thread: Should a man/woman remarry their spouse after divorcing them?
Admin

Should a man/woman remarry their spouse after divorcing them?
Posted : 15 Jul, 2012 08:23 AM

If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds somthing indecent about her, and he writes her a cerificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man, and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies, then her First husband, who divorced her , is Not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes upon the land the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance. Deuteronomy 24: 1-4

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2012 05:58 AM

...?????

What are you asking here?

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2012 08:56 AM

The question is in the Title.

And the Answer is in the Scripture I Posted here.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2012 03:07 PM

how was it? i thinks Hosea and Gomer? they had quite a tulmutuous relationship,but it worked out in the end:applause:

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2012 04:17 PM

God told Hosea to marry Gomer, who was Prostitute. She left him and then he took her back. She was never married to any other man was she?

This scripture is talking about a man who divorces and remarries the same spouse. Key word Marries.

teach_ib

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2012 08:56 PM

According to Deuteronomy, if either spouse marries someone else, they cannot marry ech other again.

If they divorce and decide to remarry...neither having married another, they appear to be free to do so. This often happens.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2012 10:06 PM

The answer is in the scripture you posted? Then what do you do with 1 Corinthians 7:10-11 (below)?

"To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife."

Two differences between that and Deuteronomy 24:1-4 jump out at me. First, the situation in Deut has two guys and a girl, and there are only one guy and one girl mentioned by Paul here. The text you quoted is talking about something more complicated than what your question asks, while 1 Cor 7 seems more easily applied.

Second, Deut is BC and describes Mosaic law; 1 Cor is AD and post-Pentecost. 1 Cor was written with a fuller (and, in a sense, complete) knowledge of how the Mosaic law is fulfilled for the believer, and of the law that the believer now lives by (the law of grace, the law of the Spirit). The Mosaic law is not nullified, yet we must interpret it in light of Jesus, his life, death and resurrection (eg, Matthew 12:1-14).

Hope that's useful!

Apostelle

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2012 10:38 PM

I wouldnt. If I divorced it would be because she cheated. If she cheated, I could never trust her again. Why would I ever trust her again?

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jul, 2012 10:51 AM

Bloodnok

This is OT scripture talking about remarring you spouse after she was married to another. Is is not suppose to be.

And as far as the sciptures you Posted that is when a person gets a biblical divorce.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jul, 2012 09:17 PM

@ExceedingJoy: Didn't I suggest that the Deuteronomy passage was about something different to the 1 Corinthians one? Sorry, but to me the question you posted seemed to be about something simpler (for want of a better word) than what that Deut passage deals with.

Apart from that, I wonder if the whole certificate of divorce rigmarole was "biblical divorce" for the Jews back then, before Jesus.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jul, 2012 06:35 PM

"I wonder if the whole certificate of divorce rigmarole was "biblical divorce" for the Jews back then, before Jesus. "

It was NOT Biblical divorce.

Page : 1 2 3