Author Thread: Don't Read This One If You Prefer "Prettier Lies"
Admin

Don't Read This One If You Prefer "Prettier Lies"
Posted : 12 Aug, 2011 04:36 AM

Been reading a lot of quotation pages of late. So much to read if you read entire books and essays, it seems more efficient to just read the quotes that made the works famous.

"The truth doesn't always set you free; people prefer to believe prettier, neatley wrapped lies" - Jodi Picoult (Keeping Faith)

"I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won't." - Mark Twain

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; Third, it is accepted as self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott

"Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian." - Robert Orben

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - Andr� Gide

"No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong." - Fran�ois de La Rochefoucauld

"1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them." - Kurt Vonnegut

"It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. Abandon the false and you are free of pain; truth makes happy, truth liberates." - Nisargadatta Maharaj

"If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." - C.S. Lewis

"There's a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure truth." - Maya Angelou

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." - Oscar Wilde

"The truth will set you free, but first it will pi$$ you off." - Gloria Steinem

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

"The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth. " - H.L. Mencken

"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head." - Terry Pratchett

"What happens to people living in a society where everyone in power is lying, stealing, cheating and killing, and in our hearts we all know this, but the consequences of facing all these lies are so monstrous, we keep on hoping that maybe the corporate government administration and media are on the level with us this time.

Americans remind me of survivors of domestic abuse.

This is always the hope that this is the very, very, very last time one's ribs get re-broken again. " - Inga Muscio [C-Word self- censored] : A Declaration of Independence)

"The truth is messy. It's raw and uncomfortable. You can't blame people for preferring lies." - Holly Black (Red Glove)

"For Sabina, living in truth, lying neither to ourselves nor to others, was possible only away from the public: the moment someone keeps an eye on what we do, we involuntarily make allowances for that eye, and nothing we do is truthful. Having a public, keeping a public in mind, means living in lies." - Milan Kundera (The Unbearable Lightness of Being)

"Things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." - Dorothy Allison (B astard Out of Carolina)

"When it comes to controlling human beings there is no better instrument than lies. Because, you see, humans live by beliefs. And beliefs can be manipulated. The power to manipulate beliefs is the only thing that counts." - Michael Ende (The Neverending Story)

"Anger at lies lasts forever. Anger at truth can't last." - Greg Evans

"Anything is better than lies and deceit!" - Leo Tolstoy (Anna Karenina)

"There are few reasons for telling the truth, but for lying the number is infinite." - Carlos Ruiz Zaf�n (The Shadow of the Wind)

"The truth is always an insult or a joke, lies are generally tastier. We love them. The nature of lies is to please. Truth has no concern for anyones comfort" - Arturo Binewski

"I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Aug, 2011 05:31 PM

Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research.

-- Wilson Mizner, 1876-1933

...After all, all he did was string together a lot of old well-known quotations.

-- H.L. Mencken on Shakespeare

Actions speak louder than words.

- Theodore Roosevelt

He who trains his tongue to quote the learned sages, will be known far and wide as a smart a*s.

-- Howard Kandel

I have gathered a posie of other men�s flowers, and nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own.

-- John Bartlett (of Bartlett's Familar Quotations)

I might repeat to myself, slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound; if I can remember any of the dam* things.

-- Dorothy Parker

Let me end with Steven Wright's Insightful words

"Light travels faster than sound--isn't that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?"

PEACE!!

-- Steven Wright

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Aug, 2011 06:05 AM

"Good artists borrow from other artists. Great artists steal outright." Pablo Piccaso

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Aug, 2011 06:54 AM

"I think you mispoke when you accidently said what you said...before you mispoked...accidently"

Yogi Berra

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Aug, 2011 02:37 PM

(skip if you are hoping for more direct quotes)

Just a thought... Truth isn't primarily a concept, idea, or even a state of something. Truth is a person, named Jesus. John 8:32 follows closely on the heels of John 8:31, where Jesus says that if you obey his teachings then you are really his disciples. God's laws and Jesus' teachings are all geared toward the same thing: understanding who God is and knowing him as a person. If you know God as a person, you know the real Truth, and that is the only path to freedom. I could literally go on for hours about the many verses in the Bible that point to God being fundamental Truth (not just having truth, BEGING Truth and its ultimate source). In fact, I have had this discussion many times with many people for many hours... yet I will spare you all here and allow you to continue on with your incredibly entertaining and mildly cynical quote recitations. I always enjoy a good quote, but if it is about truth please remember what the truth about Truth is.

ok, continue

:)

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Aug, 2011 02:11 PM

"off your Meds today...eh...Jac?

No one is "attacking" Jesus or

making "light" of The Truth.

Just having Fun here.

Why don't you start a Thread with those "...Countless Verses..." that you have and we can spend "...Hours..." listeining to you.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

-- Albert Einstein