Author Thread: What does the Bible mean we are not to judge others?
LuvGod7

View Profile
History
What does the Bible mean we are not to judge others?
Posted : 26 Jun, 2011 08:55 AM

http://www.gotquestions.org/do-not-judge.html

shalom716

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Jun, 2011 02:55 PM

I was surprised there was no response to this question.

I don't believe we are to judge other believers, however, the Bible does say that we are to judge all things. I believe this means life in general, not specific people. The Bible says we have the mind of Christ, so we are to think and act like Christ did. Jesus did not judge others when he walked on earth, instead he taught, healed and prayed for them. I'm wondering if the judging of all things will come in the millenial period, because he says we are like priests. We are to have discernment about others, because G-d says not to be yoked with unbelievers and to separate yourselves from worldly things. The word says, "come out of her my people and do not partake of her abominations"

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jul, 2011 09:10 AM

I've always interpreted this as being because we're all guilty of something, some sin. Judging another person for their sin means you'll be examined and judged for your own. So instead of doing that, let God handle it. We're not angels nor God, He has it well in hand.

Old_V3

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Jul, 2011 08:12 AM

Here's my interpretation:

Many people quote Jesus sayings in Matthew when He says that we shouldn't judge bc the same way we judge people we will be judged. That's exactly what He says. What I mean by that is that: say you are seeing people smoking and you say to them "you know you can go to Hell for that" knowing you do the same thing. That's judging because Jesus main phrase He says before the commonly quoted line is "You hypocrite". Hypocrisy is when you say you have certain morals or live a certain way when your life clearly is contrary.

Plus Paul states in one of his letters (can't remember off the top of my head right now) that we (as in the believers) are supposed to judge the church (as in the body of Christ) while God judges the unbelievers, so we do have a responsibility in judging one another or at least holding each other accountable for what we do.

Asher_Aurelius

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Jul, 2011 07:25 PM

My understanding of this is that we are not to judge the heart but the action, also there is a difference between judging and condemning.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jul, 2011 05:11 AM

(Plus Paul states in one of his letters (can't remember off the top of my head right now) that we (as in the believers) are supposed to judge the church (as in the body of Christ) while God judges the unbelievers, so we do have a responsibility in judging one another or at least holding each other accountable for what we do. )

This is a very true statement. Many people do not realize

this.:glow:

Winterwarden

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Jul, 2011 06:44 AM

We simply don't know eachother well enough to judge. Even knowing someone well is not well enough. How many times do we not heard people say "i thought I knew him/her"? It is impossible for another human being to make a fair judgement. Do we even know everything about ourselves?

Responsibility and dealing with consequenses of what we do is something else

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Jul, 2011 05:21 PM

Asher says:

, also there is a difference between judging and condemning.

Merciful:

Correct,we are not to judge unto condemnation.

This alone belongs to Yeshua:

John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Yet we are called to make right judgements.

John 7:23 If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Asher:

My understanding of this is that we are not to judge the heart but the action.

Merciful:

The action is the result of what is inside the heart of man.

Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Gen 6:5 And Jehovah saw that the evil of man was great on the earth, and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the day long.

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; who can know it?

Jer 17:10 I, Jehovah, search the heart, I try the reins, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings.

Psa 51:10 A clean heart prepare for me, O God, And a right spirit renew within me.

Shalom

Merciful

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jul, 2011 08:33 PM

I liked the part Winterwarden wrote...we are to "judge rightly"...to me that is the same as "evaluate". We as Christians have a brain, with the word in our thoughts we are "sane" and we are competent to counsel...

LuvGod7

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2011 12:10 PM

Thank you for your great perspective. Well said.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jul, 2011 04:02 PM

What if it simply means

that a "Judge" is one that passes a "Sentence" (Punishment...6 years...16 years...Life or Death). In other words...Condemns!

WE are called to "point out" where someone is falling short of The Word (Convicting) but Jesus warns us not to be "Judge and Jury" (Condemn).

Makes Sense?

I'd like to buy a vowel.

Page : 1 2