Author Thread: Home Schooling vs. The World
OutOfStep

View Profile
History
Home Schooling vs. The World
Posted : 18 May, 2011 07:18 AM

Pros? Cons? Were you/would you home school, and how are you doing in thea adult world now?

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 May, 2011 01:38 PM

my mother a scolar & teacher put her career on hold to be a stay at home mom & raise my brother & I. We attended a Public school & with out Mom & Dad's guidance with everynight studies at home round about the kitchen table...my brother & I probably wouldn't have amounted to much...Its sad that Kids these days dont get that one on one with both parents working jus to keep up with the Jones so to speak or being raised by Single parents...No matter what kinda schoolin...get it...an get ta learnin...xo

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 May, 2011 03:50 PM

I went to public school, and I probably went to the best high school ever.

However, now days, if I had children, I think I would home school, especially for the first few years. I would rather my children have a solid foundation and knowledge base that too many public schools do not give. And while private schools are a viable option, too many, including Christian ones, have lowered their standards. There are probably many exceptions to what I've said, but at least with homeschooling, I know exactly what my children would be taught.

And for those who think homeschooled students would not be able to interact with other kids, there are Homeschool Associations, clubs, etc..., which allow children to have the interaction that they need.

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 May, 2011 06:58 PM

Ah, my kind of question! I was homeschooled, K5 through 12th grade, as were both of my younger sisters. We all got an excellent education at home. Of course, my mom had been a teacher for several years before she had me, so she knew what she was doing.

There are two different kinds of homeschoolers, in my opinion. The first kind are those parents who choose to homeschool for religious/moral/educational purposes. The second kind are those parents whose kids aren't doing well (academically, socially, behaviorally, etc.) in the public school system. My family was the first type.

Because homeschoolers don't usually get an official highschool diploma and transcript, some colleges try to give us trouble. Because of that, I went ahead and took the GED...and scored the highest of anyone in my county who took the GED that year. Fortunately, I didn't actually need the GED to get into college. I attended a technical college for one year, then transferred to a private Christian college to finish my degree. I was valedictorian of my undergraduate class (4.0 GPA). I went on to grad school at a major state university, and got a teaching assistantship. I didn't have a 4.0 GPA there, but I never got lower than an A- in any class.

Shortly before I finished my masters degree, I got a call from one of my undergraduate teachers. She told me that one of the music faculty members was leaving at the end of the year, and asked if I might be interested in filling the position. I applied, and got the job. I just finished my third year of teaching there, and I've signed a contract for next year as well. I love my job!

My two sisters also did well academically. One of them just finished her bachelors degree, and has a full-time job in her field. She had good grades, and is respected at work. My other sister just finished her freshmen year of college, and has straight A's so far. She plans to finish her degree in psychology, and probably go on to graduate school.

I'd certainly want to homeschool my own kids, if I ever have any. I know that might not be a possibility, depending on the specific situation, but I think that it is worth any sacrifice (such as living on one income, rather than two incomes) to give kids a chance at an education that is better than what most public schools can provide. There is also the benefit of teaching my kids from a Christian perspective.

(Oh yeah, and just so everyone knows, I didn't sleep until noon every day, I didn't do school in my pjs, and I DID have plenty of friends! I also found myself quite well-adjusted socially when I started college, thanks to several homeschool groups that my family participated in.)

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 May, 2011 10:21 AM

I was homeschooled all my schooling years. I will do the same with my children.

I always hear the argument that children detained from interacting with children their age in the schools will turn out to be antisocial and won't know how to be with people... My my! they make homeschoolers look like aliens! Whenever I hear that I say, "would you be shocked to know that I have NEVER stepped inside a public school? But was trained at home?" I always get a baffled, shocked look! Then they would stammer "but! but! You are so sociable and full of joy, you draw people to you with your character and you are a natural leader! People who come in contact with you listen to what you say!"

I would answer back, "It is because at home, I was trained in my schooling. I was disciplined in my school work it made me a focused, confident, appreciative girl. I was not influenced by anybody but my parents and siblings and my parents KNEW what I was learning." People never knew I was homeschooled because I would run over to children and quickly make friends in the neighborhood that it was common to have the doorbell ring and hear "Can Elisa come out and play?" :) I also was enrolled playing soccer as a child and was so confident and learned to respect my elders that if one of the girls (or a few of them) would start talking while the coach was talking, or doing something disrespectful i'd raise my voice and say "HEY! COACH IS TALKING! Show some respect" which made me a leader.

So I praise the Lord for my parents home schooling me, i'd have it no other way! Was it boring? Ofcourse! But who cares if learning is boring or where i'm learning, as long as i'm learning. I have a cousin who goes to public school and she says "I love school cos I can do what I want. when the teacher is teaching I just start texting, if she sends me out of the classroom I just go to the library and check facebook or i go on my phone and check it." I was shocked!

Especially now what i'm hearing they are teaching in the school system, I cannot willingly give my child to that. Cos in the end I answer to the Lord for that!

But this is me. :)

countrylizb

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Jun, 2011 01:12 PM

I'm not sure why you titled this as "Homeschooling vs. The World. Why do think that homeschooling is at odds with the world?

I was homeschooled and I plan homeschooling my children someday. I think it's the parents' responsiblity to educate their children and the inablity to do so is rare.

Parhelion

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jun, 2011 08:33 PM

I would LOVE to home school my future theoretical kids. ;) I went to public school, and I did not enjoy it -- in fact, I felt very robbed by the time I got out, because I went to a particularly poor district that did not get any funding. I was not only unprepared for college, but I was downright uncompetitive in the job market.

Unfortunately, this may not be realistic unless I find myself a great guy who wants to take on the traditional male role at the head of the Christian household -- the sole bacon-winner. It may not be economical to be a stay-at-home mom, and I think you really need that in order to be an effective guide and educator for home-school kids.

Asher_Aurelius

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jun, 2011 07:33 AM

Use to think homeschooling kids would be cruel because it would make them socially inept. However after I became a Christian the examples of home schooled kids I came across had amazing fruit. They were smart, friendly, socially apt just generally all-round well balanced. If my wife were keen then i would have no problem with it. I would prefer it.