Author Thread: The martial arts
Admin

The martial arts
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 04:09 PM

I realize that I may take a lot of flack here. However, I am going to state my views anyways.

Why do I a christian oppose the martial arts????

Every thing I have read says it is more about, if you do not win you are a weakling. Failure can not be accepted.

It also involves meditation where you are to open up your soul for what????????

The bible does warn us against meditation as it does invite spirits into us.

Some of the Asians use this as a form of false God worship.

God is a jealous god.

We are to have one god.

feel free to debate.

Dennis

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 09:49 AM

Have any of you seen the new "Karate Kid" movie that came out this past summer? The little boy who just moved to China (I forget his name) is attacked by other boys who are taking Kung Fu (I think that's what they called it) from a particular teacher. The teacher tells the boys to never show mercy to the person they are fighting. He encourages them to attack and fight not for self-defense, but for the power they will feel. The little boy who was attacked meets Mr. Han, and asks him to teach him real Kung Fu. Mr. Han does, and shows the boy how he should not use his skill to attack other people, but to defend himself. In the end, the boy wins a huge competition against the other teacher's students because of his commitment to doing things the right way and not fighting dirty.

Disclaimer: the movie does go into some of the more spiritual/mystical aspects of the martial arts, which are wrong. However it does a good job of showing how the martial arts can be used in a bad way or in a good way, and how knowing how to defend ones self can be a huge help when in danger.

When I was in college, I had to take a total fitness class. My teacher had a black belt in something or other. Though most of the class was dedicated to stretching properly and then walking/running a mile, she tried to teach us how to defend ourselves before the semester was over. She showed us how to throw off an attacker, how to use balance to stabilize ourselves but trip up an attacker, and how to use whatever object we might have as a weapon (like our car keys, a book, a purse, etc.) Granted, I was terrible at it. My best friend and I were attempting to throw each other off, and we both ended up in a tangled heap on the floor. The rest of the class found that rather amusing. The teacher just shook her head and said something to the effect of "I guess that's one wrong way to do it!" But her point was still valid...we needed to be able to defend ourselves, and she was showing us how.

***BCPG backs out of the discussion before the rotten tomatoes are thrown at her.***

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 11:17 AM

Fly and Cobbler---- I Love you both------ and I really mean that!

BCPG---- I haven't seen that movie yet----- but will probably get it when it comes out on DVD. :glow:

Deborah

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 01:28 PM

I have been busy with starting school and just was not able to get back to this post. I agree with you Cobbler that is why I started the post. Several churches I have belonged to have discourged belonging to anything that involves the kind of meditation that comes with martial arts and eatern religions.

As for your opponant he has a habit of running everybody in to the ground who disagrees with him.

He could have voiced his disagreement in a positive way with out trampling over others. This reveals something about his charcter. Jesus did not run people into the ground. he would only rebuke those who deserved it.

Jesus also pointed to the Father in a correct way.

You can know you are right but how you say it makes it wrong. Dennis

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 01:47 PM

FlyinHigh,

You posted:

"You didn't even know that martial art in AMERICA was perpetuated by a christian did you? The first commercial Karate school was opened by an Hawiian American after he graduated from BYU in 1954. If you misrepresent the facts you will get stung,"

* BYU is NOT a Christian University, consider yourself stung.

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 02:16 PM

Bornagaintoserve: Have you seen the original Karate Kid from the 80�s? It�s just a remake of it.

Dgrimater: It all depends on the school. I took a few classes and they never did any kind of meditation. But, a friend of mine who took it in Germany was taught the technique of emptying the mind to allow anything to come in. He was also taught the technique of emptying the mind to that he can mentally go through the moves without distraction.

Proverbs 26:4 (NASB)

4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Or you will also be like him.

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 03:36 PM

Cobbler, I knew the part of emptying your mind.That gives a chance for demons to infuince the person. That is why the bible advises against this kind of thing.Dennis

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 13 Jan, 2011 04:36 AM

Cobbler, Yes, I saw the original one. I'll check out the remake. I liked the 80s movie.

Deborah

FlyinHigh

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 13 Jan, 2011 10:20 AM

two sparrows said:

FlyinHigh,

You posted:

"You didn't even know that martial art in AMERICA was perpetuated by a christian did you? The first commercial Karate school was opened by an Hawiian American after he graduated from BYU in 1954. If you misrepresent the facts you will get stung,"

* BYU is NOT a Christian University, consider yourself stung.

Fly said:

I didn't say BYU was a christian university. I gave the educational background of ED Parker who was a devout mormon and opened the first commercial Karate school.

Infinite Insights into Kenpo

1. About the author.

In order for you to sting me you would have to be accurate which you are not.

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 13 Jan, 2011 10:56 AM

FlynHigh,

Sorry, but this might sting: Mormonism is NOT Christian. For a religion to be considered "Christian" it must profess and believe the basic foundational tenets found in Scripture. In your defense, they claim to be main stream Christianity, but it is a bold face lie to entice to believers.

"God is not a man who lives on the planet circling the star Colon. He does not have a wife who He has sex with to produce spirit babies. And Jesus and Satan are not brothers "

Need I say more?....I can if you wish.

No offense, FlyinJigh, it is not really your fault you didn't know, but now you do.

View Profile
History
The martial arts
Posted : 13 Jan, 2011 11:29 AM

Thanks for the insight two.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7