Author Thread: still rankled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
still rankled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted : 6 Jan, 2011 12:38 PM

what is a good come-back for a racist?

I was at a local restarant last night with my daughter, who is mature but inocent for her age "22". She mentioned a black guy asked her out. This is okay by me, my family is mixed, although, my daughter and i appear white. That's when an older man leaned over to our table and made a VERY racist remark!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was angry, shocked, and gave one word answers until he left us alone. i'm still P.O.!

what as Christian should i have done?

(i'm trying to forgive him)

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 07:06 PM

DontHitThatMark,

I love and respect you both, that is why I bailed out of the other thread, cause things kept gravitating to the personal. Trust me, I had plenty more to say, but it would of just fueled the fire. You implied I should give constructive criticism.....Here you go...Siylii's adjectives get her in trouble.

And your point is well taken, it was probably to soon to have fun with a post of hers without it being taken as personal, my apologies.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 07:27 PM

It's very easy to say "I can't see it", just like it's easy to say "you're blind". It isn't very often that someone admits to or even notices being "blind" when they're trying to defend a point or their pride. Just leave the option open that it could be you that's being blind.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 07:44 PM

A man who does not leave that option open is a closed minded man. If you will notice that I revealed that I 'saw' her side and even agreed, however it was the post itself that intrigued me...kinda like grace by works!

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 09:15 PM

well...I was talking about what you/chevy said to me. Confusion reigns supreme!:laugh:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 09:24 PM

Speaking of confusion, I'm still confused:winksmile:.

Me: "I'm quite a bit confused by part of your post though. It's possible to earn the right to be racist by participating in a war?"

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 10:40 PM

DontHitThatMark,

To answer you question:

Now we come to the "big picture"!

Racism is about prejudging a person using criteria that you feel is important, in this case "race". Therefore any person who is opposed to racism is a person who judges all people as individuals after they get to know them. This courtesy should be extended to all....even to the racist.

You and I have not walked in this mans shoes. I know he was stationed in Africa and has mentioned "you better not be alone when you met a group of (blacks), they just might decide to slit your throat." So we know he has stressful personal experience with blacks. We also know he put his life on the line to protect the freedoms of this country, one freedom being to choose his own vocabulary. I may not agree with his choice of words but I respect his right to use them.

Don't take this personal,....I am tired of those who preach tolerance yet pick and choose who to be tolerant to.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 11:32 PM

DHTM,

Post script : When I said "Don't take this personal" I mean it is Not directed towards you.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Jan, 2011 11:15 AM

No, I understand your point about prejudice, and I agree with it. Prejudice can go both ways, and if you're unloving/prejudiced toward a unloving/prejudiced person based on their race/age or the amount of prejudice they display, then you're just as wrong as they are.

Anyway, maybe you were just kidding around or something, but if that's true it's kind of like telling racist jokes and expecting the target group of the joke not to be offended because they should know you're just "teasing". You are right in your questioning of what she said, and maybe you did it without thinking, but it does sound very mocking.

And I'm not sure I agree with your view about this "racist" guy...that's kind of like condoning stealing if someone feels they were wronged by the person they stole from. A "stressful personal experience" isn't a very good excuse, and the color of someone's skin doesn't make them more inclined to slit peoples throats, so hating or distrusting someone based on race is wrong. I can be loving and a little understanding toward him, but he is wrong. What it sounds like you're saying, if applied to everything, doesn't fit very well. Should we respect a persons choice to commit murder? I think we should be loving toward everyone, and it's easy to forget that being loving toward a intolerant person might show them the right way, but I don't think at any point should we say "I understand you were stressed out by black people, so I respect and understand your choice to be a racist". I'm not even sure we should be tolerant toward intolerance/sin at all. Loving, yes. Always that. But even in the bible, it says that a "brother" continuing in willing sin should be avoided to the point of not even eating with them(which was a huge insult back then). I think we should be loving toward intolerance/sin, but not tolerant.

And technically, isn't it intolerant to be tired of intolerance toward intolerant people?:goofball::winksmile:

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Jan, 2011 11:52 AM

Mark,

"And technically, isn't it intolerant to be tired of intolerance toward intolerant people?"

Hahaha..."technically" you are correct! :ROFL:

I agree with your post. We are in agreement that there is nothing inherently wrong with "intolerance". It is 'what' we choose to be intolerant about is what determines the rightness or wrongness of it.

However, a person who is intolerant of disparaging remarks against blacks gives up the right to make disparaging remarks against whites unless they are tolerant of hypocrisy : )

Elisa

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Jan, 2011 04:59 PM

A possible come back....the double stuffing is nothing without the Oreo cookie outside. It takes both together to make them so yummy.

Ok, totally off topic, but I have been craving Oreos all day long and am allergic to them. Maybe why it came to mind.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7