Author Thread: Pride And Shame
penguinradar

View Profile
History
Pride And Shame
Posted : 19 Nov, 2010 02:13 PM

Okay, brace yourselves: I have a theory that I would like to run by the mass of intellectuals on this site:

My thought today is that pride is the source of shame. Think of it: WHEN DO WE FEEL ASHAMED? When we do something that breaches our code of ethics. WHY DO WE FEEL ASHAMED? Because we, and others, expect better of ourselves. WHY DO WE EXPECT BETTER OF OURSELVES? Because even though we know that humans are inescapably flawed, we believe that we have ascended above the typical human. A.K.A. - Pride.

So when Adam and Eve felt ashamed in the Garden of Eden because they were naked, it was not because God commanded them to wear clothes and they disobeyed. No, it was because they believed that nudity was below them.

Likewise, when I lay stripped bare and naked before God in all the glory of my sinful self, feeling overwhelming shame for all the atrocities buried in my soul, it is only because I sincerely believe that I am above sin. Pride.

So is shame itself a form of sin? I believe that it is a symptom of the disease of pride. I also believe that shame and pride create a cycle of stagnation in the typical Christian's life. We feel pride, and when we fail, we feel shame that reinforces our belief that we ought to be better (pride).

I'm not saying that we should take great pleasure in sinning because it is implanted in our human nature. I'm saying that agknowledging that sin is, and always will be, the biggest influence in our decisions may be the first step into seeing ourselves as God sees us.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this matter.

View Profile
History
Pride And Shame
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 09:23 PM

Penquin,

You wrote �I think...that our search for the truth in scripture is partly our correct reading of the text and partly God's revelation of it in us.�

The writers of Scripture knew what they were trying to convey. The Church was around then�as a matter of fact it was the Writers that Taught the Church everything�that passed The Truth on. My point is that Church has the True Interpretation and you should not trust your own interpretation.

Yes�Sacred Scripture will �speak� to you. It will �ignite� that Divine Spark in all of us, but when you are uncertain about Interpretation, remember that the Church has the correct Interpretation.

penguinradar

View Profile
History
Pride And Shame
Posted : 28 Nov, 2010 12:46 AM

@Arch:

If you're refering to the modern church, I have to repectfully disagree. There are so many factions of Christianity on this site alone, and each of us hear different interpretations of scripture from our spiritual leaders, be they pastors, bishops, or priests. I don't fully trust anything I hear in church, because unfortunately people tend to use the Bible to serve their own agendas. I am guilty of this at times. Even the churches that were formed shortly after Jesus's death started screwing with theology and had to be gently nudged in a different direction by disciples. Think of how many letters Paul wrote to churches explaining the things they didn't get about scripture.

This is the problem with Christians: we are human, and without God constantly beating us over the head to get our attention, we spiral out of control (Please note - I'm using a figure of speech here; I do not believe that God is literally violent towards us or anything.:rolleyes:). And especially in today's age, where it seems that belief in God is more of a fashion statement than a way of life. We have churches commercializing God, selling jewelry, wrist bands, t-shirts, all with catchy phrases like "WWJD" on it, turning our Savior into a stuffed wallet. Televangelists and "Christian" protesters preaching condemnation and hate to the lost (Except Joel Osteen - he preaches that God is a big, fluffy kitty-cat with magical powers that grants wishes when you pet it. Now THAT'S theologically sound!:goofball:). All this forces me to question man's competance in reading and understanding God's Word.

Besides, you stated that the "church has the correct interpretation." That in itself is a logical falacy because an "interpretation" is always subjective.

I don't want to "interpret" the Bible. I don't want to trust in my or others' "interpretations" of God's word. I want to rely on my knowledge of and relationship with the living God to give me understanding when reading the Bible. Trusting in anyone else is like playing darts with a blindfold on.

View Profile
History
Pride And Shame
Posted : 28 Nov, 2010 03:02 AM

@Arch

No, the Roman Catholic Church was not around then as you are so fond of preaching. It was not established in 590 AD with Gregory I who consolidated the power of the bishopric in Rome. I really wish you would preach Christ instead of the Catholic Church. What's that word that for something that tries to take the place of Christ?....I think it starts with an 'A'

penguinradar

View Profile
History
Pride And Shame
Posted : 28 Nov, 2010 08:08 AM

Oh man, you were talking about "The Church," not "the church?" Well that's a different story altogether. In that case, Arch, although I appreciate your concern for my spiritual awareness, I have to tell you I have been following Christ for 11 years now; I'm not going to change religions any time soon.

Page : 1 2 3