Author Thread: Lust and/or Immodesty?
DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 05:00 PM

Which is worse?

Is lust caused by immodesty or vice-versa?

Can a person's lust be cured by modesty?

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 08:39 AM

Anything that is contrary to the teaching of Yeshua ( Jesus)

isn't True. If HE taught it, I Believe it.

chevy

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 08:41 AM

Cobbler, you and I SAW the same thing.

chevy

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 08:43 AM

Said 'contrary' in how the truth of how the mind works contradicts his teaching. As I then explained with the white elephant example.

As for myself...I wouldn't say he was wrong, his point was clear, and as a point being made, valid.

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 08:50 AM

Thinking further about it, I'm remembering the commandment not to covert thy neighbor's wife. Covet means think, so maybe Yeshua was right regardless of how the mind works? Comes down to Thought Crime via Orwell's "1984." Thus I wasn't sure how a thought could be sinful or criminal, but as I realize now God does make covetting sinful so, ya maybe. :)

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 09:02 AM

39. This shall be fringes for you, and when you see it, you will remember all the commandments of the Lord to perform them, and you shall not wander after your hearts and after your eyes after which you are going astray. Numbers 15

14. You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, his manservant, his maidservant, his ox, his donkey, or whatever belongs to your neighbor." Exodus 20

These are both 'thought-crimes.' As as I recall the Yeshua bit he said like "...the Jews say do not commit adultery [differentiating between thinking it, and doing it presumedly] but I say to you, "a man who looks at his neighbor's wife with lust in his eyes has already commiting adultery with her.""

Problem here is it clashes with Torah when it says you shall not add to Torah, nor take away from it (1. Everything I command you that you shall be careful to do it. You shall neither add to it, nor subtract from it. Deuteronomy 13.) The prohibition from God given by Moshe is actually commiting adultery. Yeshua then (seemingly) adds his own additional clarification to the Law by saying you shouldn't even think about it too.

So would say it's probably a good idea not to think it (adultery.) But there are problems as with Deuteronomy 13:1

Btw, I believe Christian OTs have 13:1 as 12:last due to numbering errors or other issues.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 09:05 AM

It's a heart action I think, if you enjoy entertaining thoughts of lust/coveting, then it's a sin. I don't think random thoughts count unless you realize what you're thinking and then still harbor them and wish for them to happen, etc. You know...like wanting a sports car isn't "wrong", but wanting your neighbors sports car and thinking you deserve it more than he does, even though you know it's wrong to think that stuff, is sin.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 09:08 AM

I think you're right. "Goes to motive you Honor." :)

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 10:10 AM

Jeff,

Having a thought is not a sin. Was not Yeshua tempted? Did He sin? Cain was warned by God that sin was crouching at the door and that he must master it or be mastered by it, obviously referring to Cains "thought" of Abel. Yeshua's teaching on the Torah does not add or subtract, rather it explains, illuminates, unfolds. Yeshua taught the "spirit" of the law and that it is more important to keep the spirit of the law than the letter of the law. The letter begets death, the Spirit begets life.

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 01:55 PM

questions questions questions......:waving:

what about those people who live in south america and Africa in the bush that have never been dressed like us?

Do we force our moral laws on them?

What of he who lives by the law dies by the law?

Sin is sin right?

Who are we to tell somebody else how to dress?

Some of these are questions are to make you think.

More questions--------------------->:ROFL:

Should we let God convict them and move at his own pace or take matters in our own hands and tell them how to dress?

What about their customs?

Different direction;

what of the prostitte that walks church in and gets saved?

Paul was inspired to write men council men and women council women. How does this effect the lust issue?

Last so I sound like a teacher asking class questions?

:laugh: Dennis

PS. I was mean and dumped so much on you. Answer only what you want to.

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 03:34 PM

immodesty comes from lust or insecurites

it can be controlled but when we entertain the thoughts, thats when it can and willl become action.

Page : 1 2 3