Author Thread: still rankled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
still rankled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted : 6 Jan, 2011 12:38 PM

what is a good come-back for a racist?

I was at a local restarant last night with my daughter, who is mature but inocent for her age "22". She mentioned a black guy asked her out. This is okay by me, my family is mixed, although, my daughter and i appear white. That's when an older man leaned over to our table and made a VERY racist remark!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was angry, shocked, and gave one word answers until he left us alone. i'm still P.O.!

what as Christian should i have done?

(i'm trying to forgive him)

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 11:36 AM

I agree with no response or "this is a private conversation". It seems there is a trend among "older" white people to irrationally dislike anything the slightest bit different from them and to not want to mix their superior kind with others. I am shocked at how much of it is still around, and I'm sorry you and your daughter had to go through this.

I overheard a conversation where an elderly woman was complaining about how white girls like her granddaughter "get with blacks to try to rebel", to which the father of the girl said, "Or maybe it is just so important to find a good man that being black just doesn't matter." Which is a great argument, because it IS hard to find a good man.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 02:06 PM

Siylii, you shared:

"It seems there is a trend among "older" white people to irrationally dislike anything the slightest bit different from them and to not want to mix their superior kind with others."

Do you see what a ageist, racist remark you just made?

I personally don't care and do agree with the remark. However, it is hard to overlook the irony of such a post when it comes from one who loves to.....well speak out against such atrocities!...hehehe

I have a close personal friend who is 86 years old who still uses the "N" word. This man was stationed in Africa, "Africa" during WWII. He flew 52 bombing missions in a B-17. (perhaps you can google that, so you can fully appreciate what that means). As far as I am concerned this man has earned the right to choose his own vocabulary. And I could easily take offense to the remark you just posted if I chose to do so.

......just some food for thought, I still love you...and not only cause your a red head!

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 03:29 PM

friends--------> the soul is neither black, white, yellow, or red. It is just a soul created by God. that is one response.

Also, the outside appearance is not important, but your relationship with God.:applause:

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 03:44 PM

Siylii,

Post Script: Do you realize if it wasn't for the very people you just slammed, it could be illegal to make the remark you just made? And if you did you would probably be saying it in German!

I have shared this before : big picture, Big Picture,....."Big Picture"

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 04:51 PM

Two...two much. I might be starting to see why you and Arch set each other off:winksmile:. You're basically just proving her right(mocking/condescending/exaggeration/sarcasm/straw man tactics). She has never done that to you, or anyone else on here...so the motivation behind your apparent venom seems to be just that you've been "crossed" and now you want revenge. I'm definitely assuming things there, but there isn't much in the way of options to interpret your actions. It doesn't look like you're trying to teach, or even "inquire"...it looks like you're trying to tear down and humiliate.

Apart from the method you used to point it out, you do have a point. It was a generalized statement. The original post didn't even clarify what the race of the older man was. Color/age doesn't have much to do with racism. Racism doesn't start with color or age.

I'm quite a bit confused by part of your post though. It's possible to earn the right to be racist by participating in a war?

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 05:00 PM

Sorry,DHTM, but I didn't see all the things you said you did in twosparrows post. I saw him saying he agreed with her remark-- but some older folks might get offended at what she said. Maybe I need to read it again.

chevy

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 05:18 PM

please reread my first post again. we are to have a loving heart to everybody.

To the concerned my Great grandfather said he was not proud of his youth. His klan days were of a misguided idea.He did stop calling blacks names.

We do not have the right to call names!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no excuse period.

No ifs, ands, or buts period.

Dennis:peace:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 05:32 PM

There's a little of everything in there, eh?

Exaggeration/Straw man - Never seen her "speak out" against stuff like this unless it's been unreasonable(and then it should be spoken out against), unless it's just been awhile or something. The latest thing was just her "impression" of twosparrows in the recent "conflagration":laugh:. I can see why he decided to point her post out, because he does have a point, it's just the apparent attitude that I'm seeing. Instead of a "hey now, wait a minute", it sounds like a (insert mocking): ":laugh:you messed up!:nahnah:".

Condescending - Treating her like she's ignorant because she's young is also ageist. It's possible that it's true, but you'd need a trend of ignorance and I don't believe she's shown any evidence of that...

Sarcasm - Don't even need to really point that one out, we all do it anyway.

That's just what I got from it. Could be wrong, I am on the other side of this from you after all.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 06:12 PM

DHTMark,

Lol...you have been blinded by luuuuuve!...hehehe...no worries.

I would have pointed it out no matter who posted it...it is just to ironic to pass up!... but I must admit since it came from a person that would be the first to speak up if the same was said about blacks!

Mark I don't see any of the things you said.

Again, Lets see what was said :

siylii ~

"It seems there is a trend among "older" white people to irrationally dislike anything the slightest bit different from them and to not want to mix their superior kind with others."

Correct me if I am wrong....did not she say?....

Older white people are irrational, disliking anything different than them and think of themselves as superior.

Let's try this....

Younger red heads are irrational, disliking anything different than them and think of themselves as superior.

Got it now?

*This has nothing to do with siylii, it has to do with the post, I never once made it personal, except the ( big picture ), which I would love to elaborate on, but I sense no openess.

Had the tables been reversed I would had replied..." Hahaha, yeah, never saw it that way, guess it is the same thing "

(((((My posts on this are about "irony" not people.))))))

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 06:47 PM

Well, just remember your recent discussion with her, and then this, and then the fact that tone and inflection are not transferred through text. So what might be innocent teasing or whatever, probably doesn't sound like that. You are right that it was a generalized statement and I did say that already.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7