Author Thread: Where do you stand on christians drinking wine?
Admin

Where do you stand on christians drinking wine?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2011 07:10 PM

I know that we are not to be drunkards(I think that is what my nkjv calls it)but what about a glass of wine or 2 with dinner or at a gathering?

If it's ok to have wine why are elders not supposed to be "given to wine" in 1 Timothy 3:3? Does not given to wine mean "much" wine or no wine?

God bless all, a sister in Christ, Denise

Gourd00

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Nov, 2011 04:32 PM

I don't think it's sin, but I currently avoid it. If I've never tasted it, then I won't have to worry about cravings for it. There are a lot of other alternatives these days to wine. Back in Jesus' time, they didn't have the same variety.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Dec, 2011 08:00 PM

I personally don't think having one glass of wine on occasion is wrong.....if I'm home alone.

But if someone were to see me in a restaurant having a glass of wine...I would open myself up to them coming to any conclusion about my drinking. For example..."well if the youth leader drinks...it must be fine."

But they don't know I don't get drunk and how would they?

So i just avoid it altogether so that it won't affect my testimony. It just isn't worth it to me.

Len1932

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Dec, 2011 11:10 PM

The Bible tells us our bodies are a temple of the Lord. So I do not drink or smoke and never have, Doctors say here in California a little wine is good for your health as do the wine industry. However, overeating is putting a stress on my body which I am guilty of. So if I started to like wine, or smoked, my self will power in those areas just might be out of hand. I try to put on the full armor of God and stop the wiles of the devil Pray the Lord will never let me go into those sins.

Agapeton

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jan, 2012 12:55 PM

Drinking wine is not a sin. Getting intoxicated is. Paul told Tim to drink some for his stomach's sake. Jesus made water into wine and even told others to drink it from a cup. Wine gladdens the heart and makes people forget their troubles. Now, there is n abusive aspect of drinking it but it comes from the individual person and not the collective whole. Even the original "love feast" of the believers gathering together for the "breaking of the bread (we know it as communion now in our modern churches)", which was a celebration then, drank wine in toasting it to remember the blood of Christ. It was not a problem then until the Corinthian believers took advantage of over indulging in the wine and not respecting the families who didn't eat or have any food.

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jul, 2012 12:09 AM

Ephesians 5:18 says that" Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit" Now this statement does not completely rule out drinking wine but i think drinking a little of it is okay as long as you don't end up being drunk.:toomuch:

:stop: Many people believe that Christians must not drink anything alcoholic...am i right? So be careful when you drink wine because you might end up stumbling(causing someone to sin) someone...and remember that alcohol is addictive so sometimes you might drink a little more and more until you become drunk.

All am saying is that; Fine! we have the freedom, but not everything is beneficial and constructive (1 Corinthians 10:23). so whether you eat or drink or whatever you do,do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble whether 'Jews', 'Greeks' or the Church of God(I Corinthians 10:31-32).

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jul, 2012 06:26 AM

I believe it is okay to drink wine, but there are restrictions. Do not get drunk on it. Do not abuse it. Do not worship by becoming addicted.

Page : 1 2