Author Thread: Lust and/or Immodesty?
DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 05:00 PM

Which is worse?

Is lust caused by immodesty or vice-versa?

Can a person's lust be cured by modesty?

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 05:14 PM

Hmmmm, I would say they are the same. A true Christian won't have lust. ALl things become new. Immodesty will other wise bring forth lust, and it is a temptation. We should not put forth stumblingblocks for people. Jesus said that. Hope that answers your question.

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 05:20 PM

One can lust after someone who is not immodest. One can be immodest because they lust after the control it gives over the other person. Both are just as bad.

Now there is one clarification I would like to make. There is a difference between arousal and lust. Arousal is a reaction by the body, it can�t be controlled. You can neither suppress it, or force oneself to be aroused. If a person is immodest it can cause arousal in another person, which is not their fault. But, if the aroused person willingly continues to look, then that becomes lust.

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 06:11 PM

Well said, Cobbler.

It's like I tell my kids: you can't control the thoughts that come into your head, but you can control what you do with them, how much time and attention you give them.

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 07:19 PM

MountainLass, I couldn't help but notice your profile pic in the cute pink skirt is topless, is that my fault or yours?

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 07:26 PM

She's not topless, she's wearing a catsuit.

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 07:32 PM

You guys are the best.

:applause:

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 07:44 PM

Fair enough, but her tail is still hanging out!

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 11 Jan, 2011 08:01 PM

:laugh: Puns! Awesome!

I'm not sure what people call "immodesty" is "bad" by itself though. Separate it from pride and lust and you have pre-sin Adam and Eve naked in the garden of Eden, right? I mean...if there was no pride/lust we could wear whatever we durn well pleased! Aren't "sin" and "weaker"/"younger" brothers/sisters the only reasons "immodesty" is wrong and "modesty" is something we should be striving for?

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 08:31 AM

"Show a teenaged boy a condom and his mind will turn to thoughts of lust." some Reverand

"Show a teenaged boy a monkey wrench his mind will turn to thoughts of lust." - Toby, "The West Wing"

Having lustful thoughts doesn't require an immodest act or stimulus.

Contrary to Yeshua's teaching, I don't believe a thought can be sinful as with lust since we can't control every thought that might pop into our heads.

"Don't picture a white elephant." - How can you not picture it unless you think about, and therefore picture it? Same with prohibitions like lustful thoughts being adultery as Yeshua taught. Well you can't prevent yourself thinking something unless you first think it so you know what not to think about.

So I would say the actual immodest act is worse.

View Profile
History
Lust and/or Immodesty?
Posted : 12 Jan, 2011 08:37 AM

Jeff said: Contrary to Yeshua's teaching,

Just for clarification, are you saying that Jesus is wrong?

Page : 1 2 3